Florence Central Market (Mercato Centrale)
Florence’s Central Market, the largest of its kind in the city, has been located in its soaring cast-iron-and-glass pavilion for more than a century. The ground-floor indoor market is crowded with stalls selling gourmet specialties from Tuscany and beyond, including fresh fruit and vegetables, buffalo mozzarella, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and Chianti wine. The second floor has been reworked into a chic food court offering freshly prepared Florentine classics served street-food style—everything from fresh pasta with truffles to hamburgers made with heirloom beef.
A stroll through the market is a highlight of any food walking tour in Florence. Some tours include stops to snack along the way, as well as cooking lessons in the school upstairs.
Things to Know Before You Go
Lovers of Italian food will particularly enjoy touring the market—it’s the perfect place to try Florentine classics like ribollita, lampredotto, and bistecca alla fiorentina.
The upstairs area has an excellent wine shop that can ship anywhere in the world, a bookstore, and a workshop that hosts wine tastings and cooking demonstrations.
The downstairs stalls are a great place to snag ingredients, either for an impromptu picnic or for souvenirs.
There are ramps and an elevator to access both the upper and lower floors of the market.
How to Get There
The market is located in Piazza del Mercato Centrale in the San Lorenzo district, a short walk from the Florence train station.
When to Get There
The ground-floor stalls are open each morning Monday to Saturday, while the upper-floor food court is open daily from 10am to midnight, making it convenient for snacks or meals. Upstairs can get very crowded at mealtimes (1 to 3pm and 7 to 9pm), so it's best to wander through and sample the Tuscan goods at off-hours.
Visiting Another Florentine Market
Just outside the Central Market, the San Lorenzo Market (Mercato di San Lorenzo) is known as the best place in the city to find inexpensive leather goods.
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Things to do in Chianti
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Livorno
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Modena
- Things to do in Ravenna
- Things to do in Ferrara
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Emilia-Romagna
- Things to do in Umbria
- San Lorenzo Market (Mercato di San Lorenzo)
- Basilica of San Lorenzo (Basilica di San Lorenzo)
- Medici Chapels
- Florence Via Cavour (Via Camillo Cavour)
- Medici Riccardi Palace (Palazzo Medici Riccardi)
- Leonardo da Vinci Museum (Museo Leonardo da Vinci)
- Michelangelo's Statue of David (Il Davide di Michelangelo)
- Giotto's Bell Tower (Campanile di Giotto)
- Florence Baptistery (Battistero di San Giovanni)
- Hard Rock Cafe Florence
- Accademia Gallery (Galleria dell'Accademia)
- Basilica of Santa Maria Novella (Basilica di Santa Maria Novella)
- Opera del Duomo Museum (Museo dell'Opera del Duomo)
- Leonardo Interactive Museum®
- Brunelleschi's Dome (Cupola del Brunelleschi)