The best way to see the Dragon Bridge is on foot. Opt for a walking tour of the city’s highlights and learn about the significance of the Ljubljana dragon from a knowledgeable guide. Alternatively, take a guided bike tour of the city to see more in a day than you can on foot. Combine a city tour with a Ljubljana Castle funicular ride for panoramic views of the city.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Dragon Bridge is a must-see for first time visitors to Ljubljana.
- Car lanes and a pedestrian walkway run across the Dragon Bridge.
- The bridge offers a great spot for photographing the St. Nicholas’ Cathedral.
- The Dragon Bridge walkway is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
The Dragon Bridge crosses the Ljubljanica River on Kopitar Street (Kopitarjeva ulica) and Ressel Street (Resljeva cesta), just north of the city market at Vodnik Square (Vodnikov trg). Public bus lines 13 and 20 stop at the northern end of the bridge.
When to Get There
The Dragon Bridge is a public bridge and it is always open. The bridge is a popular attraction so consider visiting first thing in the morning to avoid the crowds. For the best photo opportunities, visit at sunrise or an hour before sunset when lighting is at its best.
Ljubljana Dragon Legends
Legend has it that the Ljubljanica River was once home to a ferocious dragon. The dragon guarded the river’s shore and prevented anyone from settling on its territory. One winter, while on his quest for the legendary Golden Fleece, the Greek God Jason slayed the fiery dragon. The people were joyful and built a town, which is now Ljubljana. The dragon became the symbol of Slovenia’s capital city and is featured on top of the castle tower on the city’s coat of arms.
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Trieste
- Things to do in Koper
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Porec
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Rovinj
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Things to do in Istria
- Things to do in Central Croatia
- Butchers' Bridge (Mesarski Most)
- Ljubljana Cathedral (Church of St. Nicholas)
- Ljubljana Castle Funicular
- Preseren Square (Presernov Trg)
- Triple Bridge (Tromostovje)
- Ljubljana Old Town
- Ljubljanica River
- Ljubljana Town Hall (Magistrat)
- Ljubljana Castle (Ljubljanski Grad)
- Congress Square (Kongresni Trg)
- Museum of Illusions
- Cobblers' Bridge (Cevljarski Most)
- National and University Library of Slovenia (Arodna in Univerzitetna Knjiznica)
- Krizanke Summer Theatre (Poletno Gledalisce Krizanke)