Preseren Square (Presernov Trg)
The popular square figures into many tours that explore the city incorporating various modes of transportation—on foot, bicycle, boat ride, or even a paddle board—and specialized focuses such as architecture, history, or Slovenia’s socialist past and feminist achievements. Eat and drink your way through the city on a culinary and wine tour or tack on a funicular ride up to Ljubljana Castle. If you have the day free, go on a mini-trip to magical Lake Bled.
Cycling tours offer the chance to pedal alongside the river to unique landmarks such as Metelkova, an autonomous cultural center. If you’re coming from Salzburg, Koper, Graz, consider taking a day trip to Ljubljana.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Prešeren Square is an ideal spot from which to explore the city.
- Stairways from each of the two side bridges lead to tree-lined terraces with captivating views.
- Near the bridge, there is a public WC, and on the other side of the bridge, there’s a currency exchange kiosk and tourist information center.
How to Get There
Prešeren Square is on the New Town at the foot of Triple Bridge (Tromostovje), and is best accessed on foot or bicycle. Take bus lines 1, 2, 3, 6, 9, or 11 to the Posta stop on the west side, or line 2 to the Lutkovno gl. stop on the other side of the bridge in the pedestrian-only historic center.
When to Get There
Prešeren Square is a popular meeting place throughout the year. Have a meal or a drink at one of the many restaurants, bars, and cafés along the river. To avoid the crowds that come in the summer high season, visit Ljubljana in the late spring or early fall when the weather is pleasant, and you can find deals on hotels. During Christmastime, the city is especially magical with festive lights, markets, and foods.
Triple Bridge (Tromostovje)
One of Ljubljana’s most recognizable landmarks, the Triple Bridge connects the New Town at Prešeren Square and the city’s historic center. The bridge’s three interconnected pedestrian-only pathways are the inspired masterwork of Slovene architect Jože Ple?nik and stand among his many humanist architectural gems in the city.
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Trieste
- Things to do in Koper
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Porec
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Rovinj
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Things to do in Istria
- Things to do in Central Croatia
- Triple Bridge (Tromostovje)
- Ljubljana Old Town
- Ljubljanica River
- Ljubljana Town Hall (Magistrat)
- Ljubljana Cathedral (Church of St. Nicholas)
- Butchers' Bridge (Mesarski Most)
- Congress Square (Kongresni Trg)
- Museum of Illusions
- Ljubljana Castle Funicular
- Cobblers' Bridge (Cevljarski Most)
- Ljubljana Castle (Ljubljanski Grad)
- National and University Library of Slovenia (Arodna in Univerzitetna Knjiznica)
- Krizanke Summer Theatre (Poletno Gledalisce Krizanke)
- Dragon Bridge
- Cankar Centre (Cankarjev Dom)