Though there are a number of important sights along Via Fillungo—the 11th-century Church of San Cristoforo and Palazzo Manzi, to name two—you’ll want to take a turn down Lucca’s most important medieval street primarily to enjoy the friendly local vibe. Most walking or bike tours of the historic center take in Via Fillungo along with the main Piazza dell’Anfiteatro, in addition to architectural highlights like the Duomo di San Martino, the Church di San Michele in Foro, and the historic city walls. Lucca is a popular day trip from Florence or shore excursion from Livorno, and is often combined with a tour of Pisa.
Things to know before you go
- If exploring Lucca on foot or by bike, wear comfortable shoes and dress for the weather
- With its dozens of stores and boutiques, Via Fillungo is a must if you want to do some shopping in Lucca.
- Via Fillungo is flat and paved, but there are no sidewalks to avoid the occasional passing vehicle. Wheelchair users should be cautious.
- The street is liveliest during business hours when the shops and cafès are open.
How to get there
Via Fillungo runs through the heart of Lucca’s old town, and is easy to reach from the train station on foot. Direct trains run to Lucca from Florence, but opt for a tour or shore excursion that includes transportation if you plan on visiting Lucca and Pisa in a single day.
When to get there
The center of Lucca is especially delightful from July to September, when the city hosts a popular music festival featuring outdoor performances by Italian and international rock and pop artists.
La Dolce Vita in Lucca
Lucca is a town where much of the civic life takes place outdoors, in the city’s picturesque streets and squares. In addition to Via Fillungo, to get a sample of the friendly local vibe, you can book a table at one of the outdoor cafés or restaurants in Piazza dell’Anfiteatro, or take a stroll along the city’s medieval walls, now a park with shade trees, benches, and paths.
- Piazza dell'Anfiteatro
- Guinigi Tower (Torre Guinigi)
- Lucca Clock Tower (Torre delle Ore)
- Church of San Michele in Foro (Chiesa di San Michele in Foro)
- Puccini Museum
- Puccini e la sua Lucca International Permanent Festival
- Lucca Cathedral (Duomo di Lucca)
- Cathedral Museum Complex (Complesso Museale e Archeologico della Cattedrale di Lucca)
- Devil's Bridge (Ponte del Diavolo or Ponte della Maddalena)