Barolo lends its name to one of Italy’s most prestigious wines, made from the nebbiolo grapes that grow on the surrounding hillsides. That said, Piedmont wine tours typically explore the historic center of Barolo, which is also home to the WiMu wine museum in the 12th-century Castello Falletti and corkscrew museum.
As well as relieving you of the responsibility of driving, most wine tasting day trips also include a stop for lunch, which gives you the opportunity to discover the area’s excellent cuisine. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can also choose to see the town and countryside from above with a hot-air balloon ride over Piedmont.
Things to know before you go
- The rolling landscapes of Le Langhe are among the most picturesque in Piedmont, so be sure to bring your camera.
- Though quite steep, the town is mostly accessible to wheelchair users. Wineries may not be accessible, so if you are visiting as part of a wine tour, check in advance.
- Tours of Barolo and the wine country require a bit of walking, so choose comfortable shoes and dress for the weather.
- As the birthplace of award-winning Barolo wine, the town is a must-see for wine lovers.
How to get there
By car, take the SP3 highway from Alba. Otherwise, join a small-group or private tour that includes transport to avoid the complicated bus connections.
When to get there
The landscape around Barolo is particularly lush in spring and fall, when the vineyards are in full bloom. Visit in the late summer to experience the vendemmia (traditional grape harvest).
Barolo’s WiMu Wine Museum
Barolo’s most important attraction is WiMu, a wine museum housed in the town’s medieval castle. Here, you can learn about the history and science of Piedmont’s wine production through a series of installations and interactive exhibits. The castle also has a scenic terrace for snapping pictures of the view and the historic cellars where Barolo wine was first produced almost two centuries ago.
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Emilia-Romagna
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Monte-Carlo
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Parma
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Things to do in Rhône-Alpes
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Lake Geneva
- La Morra
- Serralunga d'Alba Castle (Castello di Serralunga d'Alba)
- Grinzane Cavour Castle
- Alba Underground (Alba Sotterranea)
- National Museum of the Automobile (Museo Nazionale dell'Automobile)
- Valentino Castle (Castello del Valentino)
- Valentine Park (Parco del Valentino)
- Basilica of Superga (Basilica di Superga)
- Port of Savona
- National Cinema Museum (Museo Nazionale del Cinema)
- Piazza San Carlo
- QC Termetorino
- Mole Antonelliana
- Egyptian Museum (Museo Egizio)
- Carignano Palace (Palazzo Carignano)