Lourmarin Castle (Château de Lourmarin)
The castle is often visited on half- or full-day Luberon villages tours from Aix-en-Provence. Visitors can explore the castle’s rooms and gardens to see furniture and artworks from the 15th through the 18th centuries. To learn about the Renaissance architecture, join a guided tour of the castle interior, where highlights include an impressive spiral staircase, the Italianate loggia, and views of the olive groves surrounding the castle. The castle also offers children’s activities, including scavenger hunts and games.
Things to Know Before You Go
An entrance fee is required to tour the inside of the castle.
If you’re short on time, the castle grounds and exterior are free to explore.
A wine shop can be found below the walls of the castle.
How to Get There
Lourmarin Castle is located 23 miles (37 kilometers) from Aix-en-Provence and can easily be reached by car via the D543. Having a car in Provence is essential because buses run infrequently and don’t stop at many of the main tourist sights. Alternatively, booking a guided tour of the Luberon villages is a great way to explore this region.
When to Get There
The castle is open year-round except for Christmas and New Year’s Day, although opening hours are limited outside of the summer season. With an annual Renaissance festival, frequent classical music performances, and special exhibitions, summer is the liveliest season to visit, although it’s the busiest time as well.
Other Attractions in Lourmarin
Lourmarin village is filled with narrow cobblestone lanes and picturesque medieval squares. A weekly farmers market is held Friday morning, and the village has a great selection of antique shops, galleries, gourmet food stores, and open-air cafés. The surrounding countryside is filled with vineyards and lavender fields that you can visit, and there’s a variety of outdoor activities to enjoy, such as mountain biking, trail running, hiking, and horseback riding.
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Things to do in Rhône-Alpes
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Lake Geneva
- Things to do in Burgundy
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Lombardy
- La Barben Zoo (Zoo de la Barben)
- Lavender Museum (Musee de la Lavande)
- Senanque Abbey (Abbaye Notre-Dame de Sénanque)
- Fountain of Vaucluse (Fontaine-de-Vaucluse)
- Cézanne's Studio (Atelier Cézanne)
- Aix Cathedral (Cathédrale Saint Sauveur)
- Aix-en-Provence Old Town (Vieil Aix)
- Cours Mirabeau
- Sainte-Victoire Mountain (Montagne Sainte-Victoire)
- Caves of Thouzon (Grottes de Thouzon)
- Saint-Paul de Mausole Monastery (Monastère Saint-Paul de Mausole)
- Parc Spirou