Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem (Basilica di Santa Croce in Gerusalemme)
Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem is one of the Seven Pilgrim Churches of Rome, a pilgrimage route that the faithful made on foot. The main attraction of the church is of course the relics, said to have been carried from Jerusalem by the mother of Roman Emperor Constantine I, the St. Empress Helena, as well as the full-size replica of the Shroud of Turin. The church name comes from the Jerusalem soil that was laid on the floor of the basilica, as a way of moving part of the holy city to Rome.
Travelers may explore Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem as part of a half-day, full-day, private or group, walking or cycle tours of the city’s abundant holy sites including Basilica of Rome, Basilica of Saint Praxedis, Patriarchal Basilica of St. Mary Major, Santa Maria Maggiore, St. John Lateran, Church of Domine Quo Vadis, and the Scala Santa, a sacred marble staircase set within a chapel building brought from the Holy Land to Italy by St. Helena.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Suitable for art and architecture buffs of all ages.
- The church is free to enter and is wheelchair-friendly.
- Remember to wear modest clothing when entering any religious space in Italy.xa0
- Comfortable shoes are a must, as tours require a fair amount of walking or biking.
- Tours may include round trip hotel transfers. Check specific tours for details.xa0
- Tours are wheelchair friendly.
How to Get There
Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem is located at the Piazza di Santa Croce in the Esquilino quarter, close to the Aurelian Walls and the Castrense Amphitheatre, between the Basilica of St. John Lateran and Porta Maggiore. Take Metro A to the San Giovanni station and walk along the tree-lined Viale Carlo Felice.
When to Get There
Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem Avoid Rome’s dense tourist throngs by traveling during the pleasant shoulder seasons of spring and fall. Even better for avoiding crowds is the winter, though temperatures can dip to freezing.
- Porta Maggiore
- Holy Stairs (Scala Sancta) and Chapel of San Lorenzo
- Basilica of St. John Lateran (Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano)
- Caelian Hill (Celio)
- Oppian Hill Park (Parco del Colle Oppio)
- Basilica of San Clemente al Laterano (Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano)
- Basilica of St. Stephen in the Round (Basilica di Santo Stefano Rotondo)
- Basilica of Santi Quattro Coronati (Basilica dei Santi Quattro Coronati)
- Basilica di Santa Prassede
- Villa Celimontana
- Golden House of Nero (Domus Aurea)
- Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore (Basilica Papale di Santa Maria Maggiore)
- Seven Hills of Rome (Sette Colli di Roma)
- Rome Basilica di Santi Giovanni e Paolo