Piazzale Giuseppe Garibaldi
While it is possible to walk up to Piazzale Giuseppe Garibaldi, there are easier options. Segway, scooter, and Vespa tours of the city make light work of the ascent, and allow travelers to cover more ground in limited time. Many sightseeing and food tours of the Trastevere neighborhood include a stop at Piazzale Giuseppe Garibaldi, allowing participants to soak up the views, which stretch across the historic center of Rome.
Things to know before you go
- Wear sunscreen and a hat; Piazzale Guiseppe Garibaldi offers little shade.
- Piazzale Giuseppe Garibaldi is a must-do for families, with a small puppet theater and carnival rides nearby.
- At the foot of Janiculum Hill, you’ll find lots of cafés, restaurants, and bars in the mostly pedestrianized Trastevere neighborhood.
How to get there
Piazzale Giuseppe Garibaldi is situated atop Janiculum Hill in the Trastevere neighborhood of Rome. Walking up to the top can be strenuous so if you aren’t up for the uphill slog, ride the 115 bus up instead.
When to get there
Rise early to see the sunrise or go at sunset to admire the Roman skyline in the soft light of the fading sun. Alternatively, come at noon to hear the nearby Gianicolo Cannon ring in the hour.
Every day at noon, a cannon near the piazza fires off a blank round, creating an almighty noise that reverberates around Trastevere and beyond. The tradition of firing the cannon first began in 1847 in an effort by Pope Pius IX to set a standard time for Rome’s church bells. Though there was a hiatus during the World Wars, the cannon has been sounding off regularly since 1959. While it might make travelers jump, locals are well used to its loud boom marking the passing time.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Castel Gandolfo
- Ciampino International Airport (CIA)
- Appian Way and Aurelian Walls (Via Appia Antica e Mure Aureliane)
- Villa of the Quintilii (Villa dei Quintili)
- Aqueduct Park (Parco degli Acquedotti)
- Circus of Maxentius (Circo di Massenzio)
- Garbatella District (Quartiere Garbatella)
- Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem (Basilica di Santa Croce in Gerusalemme)
- Historic Center of Rome (Centro Storico di Roma)
- Porta Maggiore
- Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls (Basilica di San Paolo Fuori le Mura)
- Basilica of St. John Lateran (Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano)
- Holy Stairs (Scala Sancta) and Chapel of San Lorenzo
- Baths of Caracalla (Terme di Caracalla)