Salzburg Old Market (Alter Markt)
People have been living in the area around Salzburg since the 5th century BC, when the Celts established a base here. In the millennia since, Romans, Bavarians, Napoleonic forces, and the Dukes of Tuscany all laid claims to the city before it became part of the Austrian empire in the early 19th century. The Alter Markt dates back to the Bavarian period when it acted as the center of the city and its market square, although the Medieval buildings which once stood here have been replaced by baroque townhouses.
Things to know before you go
- The square is home to Konditorei Furst, where Mozartkugel candies were first invented.
- The tiny house is located next to the Tomaselli coffee house. It was built to seal off an alleyway from the square.
- The square is wheelchair accessible.
- In winter, a Christmas Market pops up in the square.
How to get there
Alter Markt is located in Salzburg’s Old Town, between the river and Salzburg Cathedral. It can be accessed on foot, as part of a guided walking tour, by bike, or bus. City Bus A stops at the bottom of the square.
When to get there
Alter Markt square is open all year round. It makes a good place to stop for lunch or coffee while sightseeing. Depending on the time of year you might find special events happening in the square, such as the Christmas Market. The city is busiest during the Salzburg Festival in July and August, and at other holiday periods.
Pay Homage to Mozart
Visit Salzburg and there’s one famous resident that you cannot miss - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. From his statue in the main square Mozartplatz, to multiple museums, and his special candies, images of the composer are everywhere. Join in on the fun by stopping at least one of the key Mozart sites during your stay, and of course, trying a Mozartkugel chocolate truffle.
- Salzburg Museum of Natural History (Haus der Natur)
- Mönchsberg Lift (Mönchsbergaufzug)
- Museum of Modern Art Salzburg Mönchsberg (Museum der Moderne am Mönchsberg)
- Salzburg Marionette Theater
- Mirabell Palace and Gardens (Schloss Mirabell und Mirabellgarten)
- Toy Museum (Spielzeugmuseum)
- Mozart Residence (Mozart-Wohnhaus)
- Large Festival Hall (Grosses Festspielhaus)
- Mozart’s Birthplace (Mozarts Geburtshaus)
- Museum of Modern Art Salzburg Rupertinum (Museum der Moderne Rupertinum)
- Residenz Gallery (Residenzgalerie)
- Georg Trakl Memorial (Traklhouse)
- Cathedral Museum (Dommuseum)