Walking tours of Strasbourg often stop at Maison Kammerzell for the show-stopping, ornate façade. It’s a feast of Gothic and Renaissance architecture, with timber framing, sculpted window frames, and elaborate frescoes. To admire the interiors, book a table at the Maison Kammerzell and tuck into typical Alsatian dishes such as sauerkraut (fermented cabbage) or spaetzle (noodle dumplings). You can even spend a night at the Maison Kammerzell—the upstairs rooms have been renovated and transformed into a hotel.
Things to know before you go
- A photo stop at the Kammerzell House is a must for history buffs and architecture enthusiasts.
- Reservations are highly recommended for both the hotel and restaurant.
- While there is access to the ground-floor restaurant, the hotel’s narrow passageways and spiral staircase limits access for wheelchair users. However, there is an elevator.
How to get there
Maison Kammerzell is located opposite the Cathedral of Notre Dame on Strasbourg’s Grande Île. The closest tram stop is Langstross Grand'Rue, less than a 5-minute walk away.
When to get there
Although you can admire the building exteriors at any time, the restaurant is only open from midday to 2.30pm for lunch and from 7 to 11pm for dinner.
Strasbourg’s Architectural Gems
The Grand Île of Strasbourg is a UNESCO World Heritage Site filled with historic landmarks. Opposite the Maison Kammerzell, the masterpiece Cathedral of Notre Dame affords panoramic views from a 216-foot (66-meter) bell tower. Other notable landmarks include the nearby Rohan Palace (Palais Rohan), home to some of Strasbourg’s top museums; the 12th-century St. Thomas Church; and the Covered Bridges. The “La Petite France” quarter is truly picturesque, full of cobblestone lanes, half-timbered buildings, and flower-lined canals.
- Things to do in Alsace
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Geneva
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Central Switzerland
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Grande Île
- Place Gutenberg
- Christmas Market (Christkindelsmärik)
- Rohan Palace (Palais Rohan)
- Strasbourg Cathedral of Notre Dame (Cathédrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg)
- La Petite France
- St. Thomas Church (Eglise St. Thomas)
- Alsatian Museum (Musée Alsacien)
- Tanners House (Maison des Tanneurs)
- Strasbourg Covered Bridges (Ponts Couverts)
- Vauban Dam (Barrage Vauban)
- Orangerie Park (Parc de l'Orangerie)
- Fort of Mutzig (Feste Kaiser Wilhelm II)
- Château du Haut-Koenigsbourg