Micropia is a stop on most hop-on hop-off sightseeing tours of Amsterdam. Pick up the I Amsterdam City Card for free admission to Micropia, as well as other top Amsterdam attractions—such as the Rembrandt House, and the Van Gogh Museum. Alternatively, you can purchase a combination ticket for Micropia and the Artis Royal Zoo to enjoy a discount on admission.
Things to know before you go
- Explore the world of microorganisms through high-tech and interactive exhibits.
- A definite must-see for science and technology lovers.
- Enjoy free admission with the I Amsterdam City Card.
- Micropia is wheelchair- and stroller-accessible.
How to get there
Trams are by far the easiest way to travel around Amsterdam, plus most Amsterdam city passes include unlimited, free public transportation. Located just east of the city center next to Amsterdam’s Artis Royal Zoo, Micropia is easily reached via tram #14 from central Amsterdam. Micropia is also within walking distance of the Jewish Historical Museum, Tropenmuseum, and the famed Waterlooplein Market.
When to get there
Micropia is open daily at 9am, with extended hours on Friday and Saturday nights. Micropia and the Artis Royal Zoo are popular spots with both locals and visitors alike. Since many of the exhibits are hands-on and interactive, visit early in the morning on weekdays to avoid having to wait in line for your turn at the exhibits.
Directly outside the doors of Micropia is Artisplein, a delightful public square surrounded by zoo buildings with a view of the flamingos. Home to the charming Cafe Restaurant Plantage, this is a perfect spot for a coffee or snack between sightseeing excursions. Other family-friendly attractions in the area include the Amsterdam Botanical Gardens, the NEMO Science Museum, and the National Maritime Museum.
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in North Holland
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Flanders
- Artis Amsterdam Royal Zoo (Natura Artis Magistra)
- National Holocaust Memorial (Hollandsche Schouwburg)
- National Holocaust Museum
- Dutch Resistance Museum (Amsterdams Verzetsmuseum)
- Skinny Bridge (Magere Brug)
- Portuguese Synagogue
- Jewish Historical Museum (Joods Historisch Museum)
- National Maritime Museum (Het Scheepvaartmuseum)
- Hermitage Amsterdam
- De Gooyer Windmill
- Waterlooplein Market
- NEMO Science Museum
- Rembrandt House Museum (Museum Het Rembrandthuis)
- Xtracold Icebar