National Holocaust Museum
As well as the National Holocaust Museum, Amsterdam’s Jewish Cultural Quarter encompasses the Jewish Historical Museum, the JHM Children’s Museum, the Hollandsche Schouwburg, and the Portuguese Synagogue; booking a JCQ ticket in advance grants you access to all five museums and lets you avoid waiting in line. If you’re on a time budget, opt for multi-attraction deals that combine a JCQ ticket with Amsterdam essentials such as a canal cruise or evening concert.
Things to Know Before You Go
The National Holocaust Museum is a must-see for for visitors interested in European history or the Shoah.
Be aware that the museum is still in development, so it is worth taking advantage of included admission to its sister attractions.
The museum is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Take tram 14 and alight at stop Artis to find yourself directly outside the museum, or stroll ten minutes west from Waterlooplein metro station. Some multi-attraction deals, such as the Holland Pass, include unlimited access to public transport and hop-on hop-off services.
When to Get There
The museum opens daily year-round, except on Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashanah, and King’s Day. Your ticket can be used once at each JCQ attraction over the course of a month, so there’s no need to rush. If you do want to tick them all off in a day, however, an early start is essential.
Throughout Amsterdam, there’s ample opportunity to learn more about life under Nazi occupation. Beyond the Jewish Cultural Quarter, options include the award-winning Resistance Museum (Verzetsmuseum) and the iconic Anne Frank House, both of which provide nuanced insight into the nature of human perseverance in the face of persecution, terror, and genocide.
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in North Holland
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Flanders
- National Holocaust Memorial (Hollandsche Schouwburg)
- Artis Amsterdam Royal Zoo (Natura Artis Magistra)
- Dutch Resistance Museum (Amsterdams Verzetsmuseum)
- Skinny Bridge (Magere Brug)
- Portuguese Synagogue
- Jewish Historical Museum (Joods Historisch Museum)
- Hermitage Amsterdam
- National Maritime Museum (Het Scheepvaartmuseum)
- Waterlooplein Market
- Rembrandt House Museum (Museum Het Rembrandthuis)
- Xtracold Icebar
- NEMO Science Museum
- Museum Willet-Holthuysen
- Zuiderkerk (Southern Church)