Bilbao Fine Arts Museum (Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao)
Set entirely within Doña Casilda Park, the Bilbao Fine Arts Museum is just a stone’s throw from the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, and offers a classic complement to the modernist venue. Take a guided tour of the two museum buildings to learn more about their permanent and temporary collections, or stop by as part of a broader Bilbao city tour. Alternatively, opt for a private tour of the Bilbao Fine Arts Museum for a deep dive into its extensive collection.
Things to Know Before You Go
There’s an onsite cinema and gift store, plus a coffee shop serving sandwiches, salads, and beverages.
Guided Spanish-language tours of the Bilbao Fine Arts Museum are held every Saturday and Sunday, and English-language audio-guides are available for a small fee.
Disabled visitors and those aged 25 and below always enter for free.
Ramps and elevators, as well as accessible bathrooms, mean the Bilbao Fine Arts Museum is fully wheelchair and stroller accessible.
How to Get There
The Bilbao Fine Arts Museum is situated in the Abando district and is easily accessible both on foot and via public transit. Moyuá, the closest metro station, is just a 5-minute walk from the museum, while the closest tram stops are Abandoibarra and Guggenheim. Alternatively, look for the Bilbobus routes that stop at Museo Plaza, Alameda Rekalde, or Gran Vía.
When to Get There
The Bilbao Fine Arts Museum is open Wednesday through Monday from mid-morning until evening. The museum is always closed on Tuesdays, as well as Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, and King’s Day. Arrive early to avoid the worst crowds, or visit during the two hours prior to closing for free entry to the permanent collection.
Art in Bilbao
Art lovers in Spain shouldn’t overlook the northern city of Bilbao, home to both the impressive Fine Arts Museum and the Frank Gehry-designed Guggenheim. Known for its stellar collection of contemporary artworks and mirrored modernist architecture, the Guggenheim is perhaps the city’s most popular art institution, although smaller art galleries like Vanguardia and Sala Rekalde are also worth a visit.
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Bordeaux
- Things to do in Segovia
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Toledo
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in La Coruna
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in Santiago de Compostela
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in Castile and León
- Doña Casilda Iturrizar Park
- Moyua Square (Plaza Moyúa)
- Guggenheim Museum
- Euskalduna Palace (Palacio Euskalduna)
- River Maritime Museum (Museo Maritimo Ria)
- Azkuna Zentroa
- Zubizuri Bridge
- San Vicente Martír de Abando Church (Parroquia de San Vicente Martir de Abando)
- Artxanda Funicular (Funicular de Artxanda)
- Arriaga Theatre (Teatro Arriaga)
- Bilbao's Santiago Cathedral
- Casco Viejo
- Bizkaia Museum of Archaeology
- Basque Museum (Museo Vasco de Bilbao)