Art & History Museum
Culture, art, and history abound in this Belgian national museum. The four main collections span periods of time from prehistory in national archaeology and classical antiquity, to European decorative arts and non-European displays. Explore artifacts from all over the world, with collections dedicated to ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome and also movements in Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, and even Art Deco European arts. Trace the evolution of art in Europe from the 10th century or journey through the arts of India, China, pre-Columbian Americas, and other non-European civilizations.
Unique pieces in sculpture, tapestry, historic jewelry, and even glassware are some of the museum’s highlights, as well as the overview of history of mankind from prehistoric times. The museum contains more than 350,000 historical artifacts in total in its permanent collection. It routinely houses some of Europe’s finest traveling exhibitions.
The museum is located in the Cinquantenaire Park in Brussels. It’s open from 9:30 am to 5 pm Tuesday to Friday, and from 10 am to 5 pm on weekends. Tickets are €5 for adults and €4 for children and students. The nearest metro stops are Schuman and Merode.
- Royal Museum of the Armed Forces and of Military History
- Cinquantenaire Park (Parc du Cinquantenaire)
- Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences
- European Parliament
- Brussels Royal Palace (Palais Royal de Bruxelles)
- BELvue Museum
- Coudenberg (Former Palace of Brussels)
- Magritte Museum (Musée Magritte)
- Hotel Solvay
- Musical Instruments Museum
- Sablon District
- Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium
- Museum of the Turn of the Century (Musée Fin-de-Siècle)
- Hotel Tassel