La Colline aux Oiseaux Park (Parc de La Colline aux Oiseaux)
Built to mark the 50th anniversary of the Normandy D-Day landings, this 42-acre (17-hectare park is an inviting place to explore close to downtown Caen. The free-to-access park has spots for all ages, including a rose garden, small petting zoo, labyrinth, garden map of Normandy, mini-golf, and a café.
Located adjacent to the Caen Memorial, this public park is filled with walking trails and attractions. On the far eastern end is La Terrasse, a café, while the center of the park is devoted to a zoo of Normandy animals. To the west is the labyrinth and rose garden, as well as a pair of soccer fields. Most travelers come to the park by car, and extensive parking is located by the northern entrance.
Things to know before you go
- This is a great spot for traveling families, who will find a playground and other kid-friendly facilities here.
- Picnic tables onsite mean this is a nice place to plan an open-air lunch.
- Facilities at the park are wheelchair and stroller accessible.
How to get there
The entrance to La Colline aux Oiseaux Park is located on Avenue de l’Admiral Mountbatten, directly west of the Caen Memorial. To reach the park from the city center, a 1.6-mile (2.7-kilometer) trip, follow Rue Saint Gabriel northwest. It’s also possible to arrive on foot from the Caen Memorial, a 5-minute walk via the Esplanade General Eisenhower.
When to get there
La Colline aux Oiseaux Park opens daily at 10am, with a closing time that varies with the season. The gardens are especially beautiful during the summer months when roses bloom in long, fragrant rows. The park is closed from December 25th through January 1st.
Things to Do in Caen
With centuries of history and a thriving food scene, Caen has a lot for travelers to see and do. One top site is the Caen Memorial, a war museum that explores this region’s Second World War history. Far older is the 11th-century Abbaye aux Hommes, a gorgeous landmark that’s a former Benedictine abbey. At the Museum of Fine Arts of Caen, find a destination-worthy collection of European paintings, sculptures, and more.
- Caen Memorial Museum (Mémorial de Caen)
- Caen Castle (Château de Caen)
- Abbaye aux Hommes
- Normandy Museum (Musée de Normandie)
- Caen Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des Beaux-Arts de Caen)
- Abbaye aux Dames
- Pegasus Memorial Museum (Pegasus Bridge)
- Ranville War Cemetery
- Merville Battery (Batterie de Merville)
- Mulberry Harbour
- Jurques Zoo (Zoo de Jurques)
- Trouville (Trouville-sur-Mer)