Puntarenas Cruise Port
While Puntarenas itself is quite small, some of Costa Rica’s many natural wonders lie nearby. Check out the caldera lake and waterfalls at Poas Volcano; walk among the treetops in a cloud forest; go white-water rafting; or relax on a beach. Costa Rica is also a wildlife paradise—look for spider monkeys and howler monkeys, tree frogs, and sloths. Shoer excursions cover all of the above and more, typically including round-trip transportation from the port.
Things to Know Before You Go
There are two cruise terminals at the Puntarenas Cruise Port: Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica's largest seaport, and Puntarenas proper.
Both cruise terminals in Puntarenas offer restrooms, Wi-Fi, payphones, and other amenities.
Many Puntarenas shops, restaurants, and services are located along the seafront promenade known as the malecon.
For a good beach, head to Playa San Isidro, about 4 miles (6 kilometers) south of Puntarenas.
How to Get to Puntarenas From the Puntarenas Cruise Port
If your ship arrives at Puntarenas proper, you’re just a short stroll away from the cruise terminal and the Puntarenas Malecon. A free shuttle also runs from the ship landing to the terminal—a convenient option for people with limited mobility. If your ship docks at Puerto Caldera, you’ll need to jump in a taxi or arrange a transfer for the 20-minute ride to town.
Make sure you know where your ship will be docking—Puntarenas or Puerto Caldera. Spanish is the main language used in Costa Rica although many people also speak English, and the official currency is the colón. Taxis are usually easy to find.
- Things to do in Jaco
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in Quepos
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Guanacaste and Northwest
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in La Fortuna de San Carlos
- Things to do in San Jose
- Things to do in Sámara
- Things to do in Santa Cruz
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Tortuga Island (Isla Tortuga)
- Carara National Park (Parque Nacional Carara)
- The Bat Jungle
- Pura Vida Gardens and Waterfalls
- Curi-Cancha Reserve
- Selvatura Park
- Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve (Reserva Bosque Nuboso Santa Elena)
- Children's Eternal Rainforest (Bosque Eterno de los Niños)
- Jaco Beach
- Rainmaker Park
- Playa Hermosa
- Alturas Wildlife Sanctuary