The Kings Domain Gardens can be explored on foot, by bike, or on a horse-drawn carriage ride. Stop off along the way to admire the historic Government House; visit the Pioneer Women's Memorial Garden and the Shrine of Remembrance, dedicated to the heroes of WWI; or stroll around the fern gullies of The Grotto. To the north of the park, the Queen Victoria Gardens are home to the Victoria Monument and a Giant Floral Clock, while to the south, you’ll find the Melbourne Observatory and the Royal Botanic Gardens.
Things to know before you go
- Kings Domain is an idyllic spot for nature lovers and families.
- The 14-mile (22-kilometer) Main Yarra Trail runs along the riverfront of the Kings Domain park and is a popular choice for hikers and cyclists.
- The park has restrooms, picnic benches, and public barbecue areas.
- The park is wheelchair- and stroller-accessible.
How to get there
The Kings Domain Gardens are located on the south bank of the Yarra River, just south of downtown Melbourne. It's about a 20-minute walk east from the Southbank or south from Federation Square. The closest tram stop is Grant St-Police Memorial/St Kilda Rd (multiple tram lines), which drops you off at the west side of the park.
When to get there
Visit the park in the summer months for a riverside BBQ or to attend an open-air music concert at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl. The park is much quieter in the fall and winter months, but Melbourne’s mild weather means locals still frequent the park to walk, jog, or cycle.
Melbourne’s Parks and Gardens
The Kings Domain Gardens are part of a larger expanse of parks and gardens, including the Royal Botanic Gardens and the Alexandra Gardens, which have waterfront walking and cycling trails, a children’s playground, and a skate park. Other parks in the city include Fitzroy Gardens, where you can visit Captain Cook’s 1755 home and explore the early 20th-century Conservatory; the Treasury Gardens, known for its large number of brushtail possums; and the unique Melbourne Skypark, an urban park suspended over Collins Street.
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in South Island