There are many ways to enjoy Mount Macedon and the Macedon Ranges. Visitors can drive around and take in the natural beauty, stopping at one of the many picnic areas in the regional park, or take in the stunning views from the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross or the Camel’s Hump. More-active visitors will enjoy hiking, biking, or horseback riding the many trails, suitable for different ability levels.
With a number of wineries, the Macedon Ranges has a growing reputation as a thriving food and wine destination. A number of tours, including day tours and overnight tours from Melbourne, stop at area wineries and sample regional gourmet offerings.
Things to Know Before You Go
Mount Macedon is ideal for nature lovers, outdoor enthusiasts, and wine lovers.
Wear sturdy shoes, especially if planning to hike around Mount Macedon or the Macedon Ranges.
It’s a good idea to being sun protection, water, and some layers.
While the pathway to the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross is wheelchair-accessible, there are steps at the base of the memorial.
There’s a café right next to the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross.
How to Get There
Mount Macedon is located within Macedon Regional Park, located about 40 miles (65 kilometers) northwest of Melbourne and accessible via the Calder Freeway. Take the Mount Macedon Road exit and follow the signs to Macedon Regional Park.
When to Get There
Mount Macedon can be visited year-round. The area’s many beautiful gardens, which are only open to the public on select dates in the fall and spring, are a big draw for visitors in the area. In the winter, snow at the summit of Mount Macedon can make some outdoor activities more difficult.
Mount Macedon Memorial Cross
After the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne, the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross is considered by many to be the most significant war memorial in Victoria. Located at the summit of Mount Macedon, it stands 69 feet (21 meters) tall and is dedicated to all who served in wars and conflicts.
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in South Island
- Visiting the Little Penguins
- How to Pick a Great Ocean Road Tour
- Wine Tasting in Yarra Valley
- Melbourne Street Art
- Shopping in Melbourne
- Holiday & Seasonal Tours
- Sightseeing on a Budget in Melbourne
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities in Melbourne
- Things to Do in Melbourne This Fall
- Things to Do in Melbourne This Spring
- Top Parks and Gardens in Melbourne
- Art Lover's Guide to Melbourne
- First-Timers Guide to Melbourne