A western suburb of Paris, Chatou sits on the banks of the Seine and is known for its art heritage. Many visitors to Paris don’t even think of venturing out to this residential area, but those who do will find small museums and nice places to walk.
Chatou sits 9 miles (14 kilometers) from central Paris and is not typically part of a tourist itinerary. Visiting isn’t difficult, however, with a ride on the RER train. Its most-visited attraction is Musée Fournaise on the Ile des Impressionnistes, where Renoir and other Impressionist artists gathered and painted works such as Luncheon of the Boating Party. Other nearby cultural sites include the Musée de la Grenouillère in Croissy, Château de Monte-Cristo in Port-Marly, and Le Musée Ivan Tourgueniev in Bougival.
Things to know before you go
- Chatou is ideal for lovers of Impressionist art history and those looking to escape the crowds of central Paris.
- ATMs, pharmacies, and shops can be found on and around Place Maurice Berteaux near the train station.
- Head toward Avenue du Maréchal Foch to find bakeries and restaurants.
How to get there
Chatou is accessible from Paris via the RER A train line to the Chatou–Croissy station.
When to get there
The museums in Chatou are much smaller than those in Paris with limited opening hours, so check days and times before you go. Musée Fournaise may be closed in April, November, and December.
While you’re out exploring the western edge of Paris, stop by the city’s business district, which is the largest in Europe. In addition to the high-rise office towers, the district features dozens of modern art sculptures and installations, as well as the Grande Arche, a cube-shaped contemporary arch with a rooftop viewing deck.
- Things to do in Île-de-France
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Deauville City
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Normandy
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Château de Malmaison
- La Défense
- Louis Vuitton Foundation
- Jardin d'Acclimatation
- Stade Roland Garros
- Sèvres National Ceramics Museum
- Marmottan Monet Museum (Musée Marmottan Monet)
- Parc des Princes
- La Seine Musicale
- Théatre le Ranelagh
- National Marine Museum (Musee National de la Marine)
- Villa Savoye
- Paris Wine Museum (Musée du Vin Paris)
- Palais de Chaillot
- Architecture and Heritage City (Cite de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine)