North Mississippi Avenue
At the gateway to Northeast Portland you can find one of the funky-chic shopping districts that Portland is famous for. North Mississippi Avenue offers a hipster-friendly assortment of trendy boutiques and restaurants. Find plentiful cheap eats, satisfy your sweet tooth with artisan ice cream, and sip cocktails at a local pub.
The Boise-Eliot neighborhood, where North Mississippi Avenue is situated, has been reshaped by urban renewal and gentrification over decades. The infusion of apartment buildings and condos has led to displacement, and the plentiful shops and eateries of North Mississippi represent the increasingly chic neighborhood character.
You should walk North Mississippi Avenue to take it all in. This is the place to buy (and eat) local. You can find numerous independent businesses here offering everything from encyclopedic selections of lightbulbs to high-end coffee equipment. Continue your walk along nearby North Williams Avenue and you may eat so well you'll cancel your return flight.
Things to know before you go
- If the rain subsides, take advantage of the weather with a pint or two outside; a few bars here have patios.
- TV fanatics will notice filming locations from Portlandia, including Paxton Gate, offering curiosities, taxidermy, and antiques.
- Music enthusiasts shouldn't miss the chance to dig through the vinyl at Mississippi Records.
How to get there
Plan to spend time between Fremont Street and North Skidmore; walking is the best way to explore. As finding parking can be tough around North Mississippi Avenue, your best bet is to take public transit. Ride the #4 bus from Downtown Portland—it picks up near Chapman Square—and hop off along North Mississippi when you feel inspired.
When to get there
Although this bustling stretch offers something to do day and night (some bars stay open until 2:30am), shoppers should arrive during the day, and bon vivants later in the evening. If you're visiting in July you can attend the Mississippi Avenue Street Fair, and art fans should visit on the second Thursday of the month, when galleries premier new shows.
Eating Well on North Mississippi Avenue
Don't miss the chance to eat on Mississippi Avenue. Although the restaurants are top-notch, the food carts are truly epic. These tiny mobile kitchens are known to deliver culinary feats. On North Mississippi, head to Prost Marketplace. Visit the bar's food cart pod and pair your meal with a pint. You can also take the guesswork out of a foodie excursion by taking a food tour with a guide, to locate the area's hidden spots.
- Things to do in Oregon
- Things to do in Seattle
- Things to do in Vancouver
- Things to do in Vancouver Island
- Things to do in Napa & Sonoma
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in San Francisco
- Things to do in Calgary
- Things to do in Yosemite National Park
- Things to do in Washington
- Things to do in British Columbia
- Things to do in Alberta
- Things to do in Nevada
- Portland Pearl District
- Portland Steel Bridge
- Lan Su Chinese Garden
- South Park Blocks
- Portland Chinatown
- Powell’s City of Books
- Pioneer Square
- Portland Art Museum
- International Rose Test Garden
- Pittock Mansion
- Portland Japanese Garden
- Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
- Oregon Rail Heritage Center (ORHC)
- Hoyt Arboretum
- Oregon Zoo