Rotterdam Old Harbor (Oude Haven) Tours and Activities
The Old Harbor, or Oude Haven, of Rotterdam is the city’s first port, dating back to 1350. Today, the Old Harbor is an entertainment center of Rotterdam, with a unique mix of old and new structures and a collection of terraces and restaurants to enjoy some time to relax in the bustling city.
Rotterdam’s Old Harbor is home to a number of old sailing ships that harken back to the heyday of the city as a trading port. Alongside the harbor stands Het Witte Huis (The White House), recognized as the first skyscraper of Europe. Standing 45 meters, the White House was built in 1898, and was not only the first, but also the highest skyscraper in Europe.
The ten-story, art nouveau-style building was designed by Dutch architect Willem Molenbroek, and stands on 1,000 piles that keep it from sinking into the soft soil. It is one of the few buildings in Rotterdam to have survived the German bombing campaign of May 14, 1940.
The Old Harbor used to be the home of the Plan C business complex, built in 1880. This complex combined shops, offices and homes around central arcades, allowing shoppers to remain dry even during the rain. This complex was, in fact, one of the first shopping malls similar to the malls of today. Unfortunately, most of Plan C was destroyed in the bombing, and only the railing and some underpasses of the complex remain today.
Taking its place around the Old Harbor are the restaurants and modern apartments that the Old Harbor is known for today. Chief among these are Rotterdam’s Cube Houses, built in 1984. These houses, designed by Piet Blom, look like giant yellow blocks, tilted on their side and raised up on poles. The cube house complex is known as the Blaakse Bos, or Blaakse Forest, as each of the houses can be seen to look like a tree. One of the cube houses is open to the public, or you can spend the night at the Stayokay hostel, which is located within one of the cubes.
The area around the harbor has now been transformed into a center for dining and nightlife in Rotterdam. There are thirteen restaurant and cafes that surround the harbor, along with a CitizenM hotel.
Tours and Activities to Experience Rotterdam Old Harbor (Oude Haven)
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in North Holland
- Cube Houses (Kubuswoningen)
- Markthal (Market Hall)
- Church of St. Lawrence (Sint Laurenskerk)
- Maritime Museum Rotterdam
- Rotterdam City Hall (Stadhuis)
- Erasmusbrug (Erasmus Bridge)
- Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen
- Kop van Zuid
- Kunsthal Rotterdam (Art Hall Rotterdam)
- Netherlands Photo Museum (Nederlands Fotomuseum)
- Rotterdam Central Station (Rotterdam Centraal)
- Miniworld Rotterdam
- Rotterdam Zoo (Diergaarde Blijdorp)
- SS Rotterdam