With three days in San Jose, you can relax into the city’s natural rhythm, which blends the sounds of tropical birdsong, bustling markets, and salsa beats. You’ll have plenty of time to take in the key sights, including Costa Rica’s lush rain forest, volcanic peaks, and coffee farms. Here’s how.
Metallic Building (Ed)ificio Metálico)
This easy-to-spot structure was built in Brussels and imported to Costa Rica via France in 1896. Upon arrival in San Jose, it served as one of the country’s very first schools. Because the original site was mostly swamplands, the Belgian company constructed the individual iron pieces overseas before assembling them onsite, once they arrive in Costa Rica.
Today, Metallic Building serves as homage to public education and two primary schools—Buenaventura Corrales and Julia Lang—still operate inside its historic halls. Visitors can explore the grounds on their own, or participate in one of the city’s historic walking tours to learn more about this iconic building.
Calle 9, San José, Costa Rica
Metallic Building is located just west of the Parque Espana at Avenida 5 and Calle 9 in San Jose.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Metallic Building (Ed)ificio Metálico)?
What else should I know about attractions in San Jose?
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Quepos
- Things to do in Jaco
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in Limon
- Things to do in Sámara
- Things to do in Panama City
- Things to do in San Blas Islands
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Jade Museum (Museo del Jade)
- Yellow House (Casa Amarilla)
- Gold Museum
- Plaza de la Cultura
- National Theater (Teatro Nacional)
- National Museum (Museo Nacional)
- Braulio Carrillo National Park
- Children's Museum (Museo de los Ninos)
- Morazan Park
- San Jose Central Market (Mercado Central)
- Costa Rican Art Museum (Museo de Arte Costarricense)
- La Sabana Park
- Rescate Animal Zooave
- Orosi River Valley (El Valle del Rio Orosi)