Known for its surf, Avalon Beach features a variety of breaks suitable for everyone from beginners to seasoned pros. Families and sunbathers will enjoy the stretch of clean, well-patrolled, coral-sand beach. Enjoy swimming in the waves or at the 82-foot (25-meter) saltwater rock pool at the south end of the beach. For land lovers, the Bangalley Head Walk winds through the Careel Headland Reserve. Bring a picnic to enjoy on the beach, or grab something to eat or drink at one of the cafés or restaurants just across the road. To enjoy Avalon Beach along with nearby beaches, book a guided sightseeing tour of the Northern Beaches area.
Things to know before you go
- Temperatures in the summer can reach over 80°F (27°C), so don’t forget to pack a hat and sunscreen.
- Swim only in designated areas and when lifeguards are present, as the waves can be strong. Red and yellow flags indicate the beach is patrolled.
- Amenities include restrooms, showers, barbecues, picnic areas, playgrounds, and fishing areas.
How to get there
Avalon Beach is located around 22 miles (35 kilometers) north of Sydney’s central business district. The quickest driving route is to take the M1 highway to the A8. The area is also accessible via ferry and the L88 or L90 buses.
When to get there
April and May have the most comfortable temperatures and consistently sunny days. The summer months of December to February can see very warm weather and large crowds. Mid-November to early December can get extremely crowded due to the festival and “schoolies” school-leaving parties period, so expect large crowds and higher prices then. Visit during the week for smaller crowds.
Located north of Avalon Beach, Barrenjoey Lighthouse sits at Sydney’s northernmost point, at Barrenjoey Head. Towering almost 300 feet (90 meters) above sea level, the lighthouse offers stunning views of Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, Broken Bay, and the Central Coast. It can be reached via two picturesque walks.
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in Queensland