Sydney Olympic Park
At the park, visitors can wander through the scenic stretches of well-kept boardwalk that winds through protected wetlands, or even play tennis. The Urban Jungle Adventure Park, with its high ropes course, is a popular stop for families and thrill-seekers, and weekend archery clinics help travelers hit the bull’s eye. Travelers can explore the park solo or hire a guide for an in-depth Olympic experience. If you just want to see it from the outside, note that many Blue Mountain tours also pass by the park en route from Sydney.
Things to know before you go
- Bikes and Segways are available for rent, which makes exploring the grounds just a little more manageable.
- A Novotel hotel and a number of eateries are situated right in the park.
- Parking is available on site, and you can pre-book online to guarantee your spot.
- The park is fully accessible, with facilities for wheelchair users and others needing alternative access.
How to get there
The Olympic Park complex is easily accessible by train on the T7 line; get off at the Olympic Park stop. It takes about 18 minutes to get to Parramatta (with ferry connections to Circular Quay) and 30 minutes to get to Central. Bus numbers #401, #450, #525, and #526 also stop near the park.
When to get there
Most of the park’s facilities are open daily, though it can feel fairly empty when there are no scheduled events taking place. The park also offers a variety of free programs, from art shows at the on-site Newington Armory Gallery to a "Mini Park Rangers" program for young children. Check the website for up-to-date schedules.
The James Ruse Reserve
If you've made the trip out to the Olympic Park and are looking for more things to do in the area, consider paying a visit to the James Ruse Reserve in nearby Parramatta. The highlight of the reserve—at least for families—is the covered water playground, complete with all sorts of splash features suitable for even the youngest of visitors. There’s also a regular (dry) playground, a skatepark, and plenty of picnic facilities.
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in Queensland