Yarra Valley Chocolaterie & Ice Creamery
Family-run Yarra Valley Chocolaterie & Ice Creamery employs talented local and international chocolatiers and pastry chefs who create a huge range of treats for visitors to buy and sample. Items are displayed in the impressive showrooms, and you can watch these items being made through large glass windows. If you’re not sure what to buy, they offer samples of chocolate and ice cream. However, they don’t offer free samples of their truffle range. If you’re looking for a more substantial meal, these are also sold at the café.
The Yarra Valley Chocolaterie & Ice Creamery can be visited independently, but many travelers visit as part of a guided tour of the Yarra Valley, which includes time at various vineyards and wineries in the region.
Recent reviews from experiences in Yarra Valley
Things to know before you go
- Admission is free.
- You can’t make a booking to eat at the café and there’s no need to, as there’s seating for around 200 people.
- For travelers with dietary restrictions: most items sold are gluten free, and travelers needing vegan, dairy-free or nut-free items are all catered to.
- There’s a “no picnics” policy here, so if you want to dine, use the on-site café.
- All chocolate produced here is sourced ethically through fair trade programs.
How to get there
The easiest way to reach the square is by tram; Rua Santa Catarina is serviced by tram line 22, which stops a couple of minutes from Batalha Square. From the Ribeira, you can take the funicular train up the hill, which is a non-stop service that takes 5 minutes.
When to get there
They’re open every day except Christmas Day, from mid-morning until early evening. If you’re traveling with kids, they host kids’ chocolate-making workshops on some Saturday mornings, and during school holidays.
Mornington Peninsula Chocolaterie and Great Ocean Road Chocolaterie
If you’re traveling further afield in the state of Victoria, you can also visit chocolate centers elsewhere that are run by the same owners. The Mornington Peninsula Chocolaterie is in the small town of Flinders on the picturesque Mornington Peninsula, and the Great Ocean Road Chocolaterie is conveniently located near the start of the famous Victorian road trip route.
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in South Island