Explore our promoted experiences
- 75-minute Edinburgh Old Town, graveyard, and underground vaults ghost tour
- Discover the Old Town ‘wynds’ and closes, and learn about their history
- Walk through a graveyard steeped in folklore and mystery
- Explore underground vaults that contain the remains of an old street and buildings
- Hear about Edinburgh's dark past and ghosts, murders, crimes, and more
- Narrated by a guide dressed as an infamous, long-dead Edinburgh citizen
- Evening tour suitable for families
Departure & Return
City of Edinburgh Tours Old Police Box, 9 hunter Square, Royal Mile, Edinburgh, EH1 1QS, UK Edit
What To Expect
For starters, head down lanes and wynds off the Royal Mile that were once the heart of Edinburgh’s slums and rife with intrigue and criminality. Roam the cramped passageways and closes, and discover true stories about their history and occupants, and the mysteries that still swirl around them.
Next, pass through a dark graveyard, believed to be haunted, and steeped in lore and legend. See some of the interesting tombstones, and soak in the spooky atmosphere.
Then, descend into some of Edinburgh’s infamous underground vaults, a network of 18th-century chambers that contain remnants of an old street and buildings. Learn about the poor who once lived here in squalor, and hear anecdotes about ghosts, witchcraft, murders, and other grisly occurrences.
As you look around, watch and listen for unexplained happenings and noises in the tunnels, before returning to street level. Your tour then concludes when you bid farewell to your guide.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travellers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travellers
- OPERATED BY City of Edinburgh Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.