- White-water rafting trip down the Rio Balsa in Costa Rica
- Paddle your way through Class II and III rapids surrounded by lush rainforest
- Spot wildlife like birds, butterflies, sloths and monkeys as you journey down the river
- Tuck into a satisfying Costa Rican lunch at a rustic local restaurant after rafting
- Safety briefing, gear and instruction provided by first aid–certified professional guides
- Snacks, lunch and round-trip transport from most La Fortuna hotels included
Departure & Return
We are happy to pick you up at your hotel or rental home, but you can also easily fin dour office in the center of La Fortuna, 100 meters West of the Central Park.
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
Please arrive 10 minutes before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
Next, set out on the river and begin your 6-mile (10-km) descent through the rapids. Water levels vary depending on rainfall, so the river may be shallow or deep. The first half of the ride is the most challenging. Prepare to get wet as your guide helps you navigate Class III rapids like the Congo Loco and Rock around the Croc (don’t panic, as no crocodiles are actually found here).
Take a break after successfully clearing these rapids with a riverbank pit stop and snack of fresh fruit. Relax in the shade of towering trees or enjoy a refreshing swim in the river. Hop back in your raft for the continued journey down more mellow, Class II rapids. Soak up the passing tropical scenery and keep an eye out for native rain forest residents including monkeys, sloths, butterflies and colorful birds.
At the end of your rafting journey, step back onto solid ground and enjoy a traditional lunch at a local restaurant. You can shower and change into dry clothes before the return drive to La Fortuna, where you’ll be dropped off at your hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for people over 65
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travellers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travellers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travellers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travellers
- OPERATED BY Desafio Adventure Company
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s cancelled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travellers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travellers upon arrival
- Hand sanitiser available to travellers and staff
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitised between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitised
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms