- Full-day whitewater rafting and chocolate tour
- Watch how cacao beans become chocolate with a hands-on demonstration at a cacao farm
- Paddle through exciting class II and III rapids on a whitewater rafting adventure along the Balsa River
- Spot native wildlife such as birds and monkeys along the river banks
- Enjoy lunch at a serene country estate
- All food, drinks, and snacks throughout the day are provided
- No rafting experience required
- Includes round-trip transport from La Fortuna hotels
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
What To Expect
Next, prepare to get wet as you arrive at the Balsa River for a whitewater rafting adventure. Get a safety orientation and overview of paddling techniques from the river guides, then gear up with provided equipment and launch onto the currents of the Balsa. Put your rafting skills to the test as you splash through thrilling class II and III rapids, keeping an eye out for native wildlife like monkeys, toucans, and sloths along calmer stretches. Give your heart rate a rest with breaks for swimming and refreshing cool drinks with snacks. At the end of the course, change into dry clothe and, if you like, commemorate your rafting adventure by purchasing photos taken during the trip.
Travel on to a traditional Costa Rican country estate, where you can relax over a prepared lunch. The full-day tour concludes with drop-off back at your La Fortuna hotel in the afternoon.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for travellers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travellers
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 1 person per booking is required
- Minimum age is 8 years
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Weather dependent. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is flooding or other government river closure. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- The duration of transfers are approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
- Participants will get wet, please dress ready to raft in bathing suit and shoes that will stay on feet.
- Not responsible for items lost or damaged on river, please do not take anything on the river that you are not willing to lose
- Not responsible for items left on transfer bus or on tour, please check carefully before getting off bus and at end of tours
- Most travellers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 99 travellers
- OPERATED BY Wave Expeditions
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travellers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travellers upon arrival
- Hand sanitiser available to travellers and staff
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitised between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitised
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff