- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Explore Multnomah Falls and Historic Lodge
- Discover several waterfalls along the Columbia River Gorge
- Visit “Herman” the sturgeon at the Bonneville Fish Hatchery
- Live, fully narrated tour from informative, friendly and professional guide
- Enjoy an intimate tour of 12 people maximum
Departure & Return
We pick up at one of the corners of Director Park, located at the cross-streets of SW 9th Ave and SW Taylor St. The guide will aim to pull up in front of a restaurant called Pastini.
What To Expect
Departing downtown Portland, we’ll head east along the Columbia River towards the quaint town of Troutdale, known as the Gateway to the Gorge. We will join the beautiful Historic Columbia River Highway, the first planned scenic roadway in the United States, and wind our way along the Sandy River to our first stop for the day: Crown Point. This famous overlook sits 733 feet above the Columbia River, atop the remains of a lava flow that swept through the Gorge around 14 to 17 million years ago! There, we will find 180-degree amazing views of the Columbia River Gorge and have time to explore the Vista House. This intricately designed observatory and museum is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
From there, we will again join the historic highway as we drive deeper into the Columbia River National Scenic Area. Our first waterfall for the day will be the dramatic Latourell Falls, which plunges 249 feet over a massive wall of columnar basalt. Depending on the season, a short .25 mile paved trail hike will be led to get a closer view of the falls.
The grand Multnomah Falls will be the next stop in our journey. Plummeting 620 feet in two major steps, Multnomah Falls is the highest waterfall in Oregon and second highest in the nation! There, we will explore the Multnomah Falls Historic Lodge (a Cascadian style stone and timber lodge built in 1925) as well as the beautiful Multnomah Falls itself. During the gorge fire of 2017, the wildland fire crew fought tirelessly and ultimately saved this historic landmark. The easily accessible viewing platform offers a full view of the Benson Bridge and cascading falls beyond it.
Onward to Bonneville Fish Hatchery. There, we will spend about 20 minutes on a short walking tour of this impressive Fish Hatchery (the largest in Oregon) and Sturgeon viewing center! At the viewing center we will visit local celebrity: “Herman” the sturgeon. Herman is over 70 years old, 10-feet long, and 450 pounds!
Our journey will return us to Portland via the Columbia River scenic route (approximately 45 mins).
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A maximum of 12 people per booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travellers can participate
- Locally sourced hazelnuts are served complimentary during the tour. Please contact the tour provider if you have a nut allergy.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travellers
- OPERATED BY Wildwood Adventures
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s cancelled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travellers. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks provided for travellers
- Hand sanitiser available to travellers and staff
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitised
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- "Just the right amount of time to get a taste of the area." See review