Explore our promoted experiences
- Day trip to Mount Vesuvius and Pompeii from Rome with a Skip-the-Line Access
- Hike up the side of the volcano and walk along its ridge, gazing into the crater
- Drink in dramatic views over the Bay of Naples
- Upgrade to Pompeii, Amalfi Coast and Positano Small-Group Day Trip from Rome in a private, air-conditioned coach (visit to Mount Vesuvius or Naples not included).
- Explore the ruins of Pompeii with a local expert archaeologist guide
Departure & Return
At the center of Piazza del Popolo, by the large fountain with the lions and the obelisk. The nearest metro stop is Flaminio (Line A). Our City Wonders coordinators will be wearing blue City Wonders polo shirts or jackets to be easily recognizable at the meeting point.
What To Expect
After the volcano’s infamous AD 79 eruption, lava and volcanic ash destroyed the cities of Herculaneum and Pompeii. Evidence of those ancient streams of lava is still evident in the area.
First head from Rome to Pompeii. Once a thriving Roman city; today the town is best known for its UNESCO-listed archaeological digs, which are home to a wealth of relics. See incredibly preserved fossils and other ruins, plus plaster imprints of the town’s victims who were buried for years.
See the remains of the Forum and Teatro Grande, where some 5,000 people could once be seated. During your self-guided tour, learn about day-to-day life for the Pompeii locals as you wander streets where ancient shops, cafes and even brothels could be found.
Enjoy free time for sightseeing.
Then, journey to the infamous volcano. Step out of your coach for a steady-paced, walk to Mt Vesuvius’ summit, from where the most breathtaking views await. Make your way over trails covered in pumice rock and ash, before some free time to gaze down into the caldera and across the Bay of Naples.
Finally, head back to Rome by coach and finish with a drop-off at the start point.
Please note: Mt Vesuvius is inaccessible from mid-November to March. During this time, the hike is replaced with a visit to the iconic City of Naples. Take a panoramic bus tour and have some free time to walk around the city center.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION REQUIRED FROM ALL PASSENGERS: You MUST provide all passenger names at the time of booking in order to visit Mount Vesuvius or you may be refused entry.
- During summer months in rare cases of inclement weather or strikes, the crater of Vesuvius may be closed to visitors. In this case, an alternative visit to the city of Naples will be included.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travellers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- From late November to March the Vesuvius isn't accessible and it is replaced with a visit to the city of Naples with panoramic bus tour and free time.
- Option to upgrade to Pompeii, Amalfi Coast and Positano Small-Group Day Trip from Rome with private coach (Mt Vesuvius or Naples not included)
- *Upgrade Option ONLY: From November 1st until end of March, instead of Positano we will visit the town of Amalfi, as in Positano during the winter months most shops and restaurant are closed.
- *Upgrade Option ONLY: IMPORTANT- Due to an overwhelming amount of weekend traffic on the Amalfi Coast area during peak season, and to avoid significant delays, we may visit Sorrento instead of Positano on Saturdays and Sundays between June 1st and September 11th, and also on Monday August 15th (an Italian holiday)
- The hike up to the crater of Vesuvius requires a good level of general fitness. The walk is uphill at a 14 degree angle and takes roughly 20 minutes.
- Travellers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 24 travellers
- OPERATED BY City Wonders Ltd
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travellers. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitiser available to travellers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitised
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
Reviews by Viator travellers. We perform checks on reviews