Explore our promoted experiences
- Learn about the founding of the church in the 13th century
- See works of art inside the church by Ghirlandaio, Giotto, and more
- Admire the peaceful Green Cloister with frescoes by Paolo Uccello
- Visit the historic Santa Maria Novella Pharmacy in its original building
Departure & Return
Starting Time: Morning Option at 10:00 am - Afternoon Option at 02.30 pm Meeting with the guide at the entrance of Santa Maria Novella Basilica
What To Expect
Inside the church, learn about the 'mendicant order' of Dominican friars who founded the church in the early 13th century. Look for important pieces of art, such as frescoes by Filippino Lippi and Ghirlandaio, the 'Trinity' by Masaccio, and the 'Crucifix' by Giotto.
Make your way to the adjoining Green Cloister, which takes its name from the dominant color in the frescoes painted by Paolo Uccello. Continue on to the oldest pharmacy still in operation in the world, the Officina Profumo Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella – also known as the Santa Maria Novella Pharmacy.
Originally founded in 1612 under the influence of Cosimo I de' Medici and his successors, the pharmacy workshop was focused on making ointments and balms from medicinal plants and herbs. Today, the pharmacy also creates unique perfumes and soaps using old recipes. Marvel at the interior of the pharmacy, which is still in the original building with vaulted ceilings and frescoes on the walls.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY CAF Tour and Travel
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms