Explore our promoted experiences
- Electric–assist bicycle tour along the ancient Appian Way in Rome
- Cycle into the Roman countryside on this intermediate-difficulty tour
- Visit the 2nd-century San Callixtus catacombs (or 4th century San Sebastiano catacombs) and learn of Roman burial traditions (longer tour)
- Small-group tour limited to 10 people ensures personal attention from the guide
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
You can easily reach us using the A-line subway, getting off at Metro MANZONI (our shop is a 10-minute walk from there); or using the B-line subway, getting off at Metro COLOSSEUM (our shop is a 10/15-minute walk from there).
What To Expect
When you arrive at the start of the ancient road, you can relax and enjoy the scenery while riding on your electric-assist bike—allowing you to cover a lot of ground with minimal effort while you enjoy the fresh air of the Roman countryside.
Follow your guide past ancient sites like the Thermal Baths of Caracalla, the Aurelian Walls, and the Park of the Aqueducts.
Admire rural Italy, and hear stories from your guide about the centuries-old ruins. During the longer tour option, enjoy a guided tour of the catacombs and learn about ancient Roman burial traditions as you delve inside the subterranean tunnels.
Your tour concludes when you return to central Rome.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please note that approximately 30% of the route of this tour takes place in the city. We ride carefully chosen city streets, but some traffic is unavoidable to connect the Ancient Appian Way Park to the Aqueducts Park. In the remaining 70% of the route (riding in the parks) we encounter no traffic.
- You will cover an area of approximately 17 miles (27km), 70% of which takes place off-road. The difficulty level of this tour is intermediate (difficult with a child seat or child extension mounted on the bicycle).
- Infants under 1 year are not allowed to participate for safety reasons.
- Infants aged 1-4 years travelling on a child seat (with load capacity of up to 55 lbs or 25 kg) come on the tour free of charge
- For children aged 5-8 years a child extension (child streamliner) is provided.
- Children aged 9 and above can autonomously ride on an appropriately sized E-bikes
- Minimum of 4 participants applies (total number of participants on tour). There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is 3 or less passengers on the tour. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative for your tour or full refund.
- On Wednesdays, the route includes a deviation, so the tour will be half an hour longer (6,5 hours).
- On Easter Sunday (April 17, 2022), the Catacombs are closed (therefore, the 6-hour tour will not be running)
- This tour doesn't include any food or drinks; however, the route offers a few possibilities to purchase some food or drinks (which can be consumed during a suitable break).
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Are the tours safe? The answer is: Absolutely! The tours follow carefully planned routes which have limited access to traffic, and some have no traffic at all, meaning you are able to enjoy your ride around the city in total relaxation and safety and you won't have to worry about traffic
- We require that all customers wear a helmet on the tour (provided for free).
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- OPERATED BY TopBike Rental and Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience